The wonderful Rob Green,

Cardinals Rule

The wonderful Rob Green,

Post by Cardinals Rule » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:48 pm

when asked a little while ago on 5 Live Sport who was the best ever England goalkeeper, said Laurence Batty, on the basis that he played for England C - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000b4j0 (after about an hour and eight minutes)! I think Mr Green may have caused a certain amount of confusion there!

Sunderland Card

Re: The wonderful Rob Green,

Post by Sunderland Card » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:41 pm

Good listen that. Cheers!

rocknut

Post by rocknut » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:00 am

Agreed, a good listen and great to hear our Laurence got a mention....easily the best non league keeper around back in the 90s with a personality to match. Remember his Elvis moves? Lol 😃

Since85

Post by Since85 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:31 am

I remember LoL winding up Gary McAllister before the Coventry game, and he bit!

SussexSeasider

Post by SussexSeasider » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:54 pm

rocknut wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:00 am
Agreed, a good listen and great to hear our Laurence got a mention....easily the best non league keeper around back in the 90s with a personality to match. Remember his Elvis moves? Lol 😃
Yeah and I remember the Woking fans singing "you're gonna die on the toilet" at him at a match at Yeovil...!

lebowski

Post by lebowski » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:03 pm

Totally agree with Rob Green, Lol was a superb keeper and a great character on and off the pitch. Great confidence, great presence and even better penalties!

My favourite save was the one he made against Satanage, at home, in the Trophy(?). A shot hit, by Hayles (I think), with so much force through a crowd of players, heading for the underside of the bar. I thought 'that's in' and then Lol flew through the air and tipped it over. Incredible stop.

After he moved into coaching I was lucky enough to meet him a couple of times and even got to play on the same side as him (as outfield players no less) on a GK coaches course. Not often you get to 'play' with one of your heroes.

rocknut

Post by rocknut » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:20 pm

Someone should book him for the legends night on the 29th November too.

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:20 pm

Agree with this totally, he's a friend of a friend and when my pal told him that my stag do was going on with a heap of Woking fans, Lol phoned my pal to wish everyone a good time and have a bit of a laugh and joke. Top bloke.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden