Page 12 of 15

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:30 pm
by Lurker
Better Red wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:01 pm
Lurker wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:27 am
What would be the point of adding another player who wouldn't get into the match-day squad?
Fair enough, but the 'point' might be that he gives us a different option, or might be required if the squad is reduced by injuries or suspensions. I suspect it is moot anyway as he is presumably going to look for a full-time option. We need to stop looking for players now, obviously.
We can't use what presumably is a tight budget simply to keep a player hanging around in case we get injuries etc. Lazar showed some promise in the brief glimpses we saw a couple of years ago, but he doesn't seem to have played much football since then. For his own development, he needs to find a club where he can play on a regular basis rather than sitting in the stands whenever we play and generally being kept around like a spare pick at a navvy's wedding.

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 pm
by AndyT
DavetheBountyHunter wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:55 am
This is classic Cardboard ex-youth team bias. He basically had two OK games as a youngster and now he “might” be better than our existing players who have performed well above expectations in the past nine games - despite having played next to no competitive football in over a year.

It’s a little like the bellends who claim we should play the youth when the first team are struggling, because they’d show more pashun or something equally full of shit.
You've obviously got a bit of a complex against youth/young players.......

Not that I'm saying bring him back but yes he had a couple of decent games for us where he showed promise for a 19 year old playing in the National League before his season was cut short after a GBH assult on him by a AFC Fylde player. It was hardly his fault he couldn't show us how good he may have been as he was out injured for several months and probably was lucky to be alive.

Lazar must have some promise as he has been signed by two League clubs although he hasn't performed for either.

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:29 pm
by Red and White Army
DavetheBountyHunter wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:55 am

It’s a little like the bellends who claim we should play the youth when the first team are struggling, because they’d show more pashun or something equally full of shit.
This is probably my most hated thing in football. Like the comments you used to read on social media after we used to get knocked out of the World Cup earlier “pick Championship players for England at least they would show PASHUN” as if PASHUN somehow trumps ability.

It’s slightly similar to people on here bumming Josh Staunton because he shouted at people while making loads of mistakes himself.

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:33 pm
by DavetheBountyHunter
No complex Andy, I just don’t get the view that some players are better just because they came through our youth team, rather than another team’s youth academy.

Lazar looked ok, but has had no football since then. He may have signed for two league teams, but he’s also been released twice. Had a player who originated from the Aldershot academy had a similar recent career, would anyone be claiming he’d be a good addition?

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:28 pm
by Better Red
The point that is being circumvented rather neatly here is that some HAVE seen him play and therefore can offer some sort of opinion. Had he, as you suggest, come through a different academy and subsequently been released by two League clubs we would probably be none the wiser and would not be discussing it.

In a depressingly poor side he actually made a bit of a difference until being assaulted against Fylde (having iirc scored the winning goal). If he turned up at the ground ( I know...) and asked for a trial you would presumably tell him to do one because he came through our academy? OK, fine. I like to think that others might give it a bit of thought.

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:10 pm
by WFC96
I liked the guy, nothing more than that. Do I think he'd get in our time at the moment? No. But in a dream world where we have money, I'd love him to be a part of our squad.

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:20 pm
by Red and White Army
Banton seems to be scoring a few this season - is he on flamez bruv?

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:01 pm
by kansasCard
Better Red wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:28 pm
The point that is being circumvented rather neatly here is that some HAVE seen him play and therefore can offer some sort of opinion. Had he, as you suggest, come through a different academy and subsequently been released by two League clubs we would probably be none the wiser and would not be discussing it.

In a depressingly poor side he actually made a bit of a difference until being assaulted against Fylde (having iirc scored the winning goal). If he turned up at the ground ( I know...) and asked for a trial you would presumably tell him to do one because he came through our academy? OK, fine. I like to think that others might give it a bit of thought.
But neither of his two league football clubs deemed him good enough to develop, didn't send him out on loan and subsequently released him.
I don't know Lazar, have no axe to grind but on the surface the facts of the situation appear pretty clear.

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:52 pm
by Chobham Card
Red and White Army wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:20 pm
Banton seems to be scoring a few this season - is he on flamez bruv?
3 in 8. If I remember he didn't score for the entirety of last season, and then scored 2 for us the year before. This is 🔥🔥🔥 by his standards.

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:21 pm
by Red and White Army
Chobham Card wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:52 pm
Red and White Army wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:20 pm
Banton seems to be scoring a few this season - is he on flamez bruv?
3 in 8. If I remember he didn't score for the entirety of last season, and then scored 2 for us the year before. This is 🔥🔥🔥 by his standards.
He got 3 for us. Plus the one time he hit the bar away at Orient which basically counts🔥 KMT.

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:22 pm
by Lurker
Don't think this has been mentioned, but Matt Young joined Hampton a few days ago.

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:35 pm
by GlenH
Lurker wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:22 pm
Don't think this has been mentioned, but Matt Young joined Hampton a few days ago.
Ah, my favourite player, if I remember your previous comments correctly. Good for him.

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:55 pm
by Lurker
GlenH wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:35 pm
Lurker wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:22 pm
Don't think this has been mentioned, but Matt Young joined Hampton a few days ago.
Ah, my favourite player, if I remember your previous comments correctly. Good for him.
Yes, I remember you were very impressed initially. Anyway, he always gave 100%, so good luck to him.

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:03 pm
by GlenH
Lurker wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:55 pm
GlenH wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:35 pm


Ah, my favourite player, if I remember your previous comments correctly. Good for him.
Yes, I remember you were very impressed initially. Anyway, he always gave 100%, so good luck to him.
I explained quite concisely why you were wrong, but you never replied strangely, so whatever works for you. There are certainly worse crimes than being supportive :)

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:05 pm
by Baldman
DavetheBountyHunter wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:33 pm
No complex Andy, I just don’t get the view that some players are better just because they came through our youth team, rather than another team’s youth academy.

Lazar looked ok, but has had no football since then. He may have signed for two league teams, but he’s also been released twice. Had a player who originated from the Aldershot academy had a similar recent career, would anyone be claiming he’d be a good addition?
Come on man, where’s the romance? Why not just support Barcelona or Man City. Supporting a club means more than who is the best and who would improve the team. Supporting the team is where you’re from. Surely a player from the same area who Camembert through the youths means more?

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:26 pm
by Lurker
GlenH wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:03 pm
Lurker wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Yes, I remember you were very impressed initially. Anyway, he always gave 100%, so good luck to him.
I explained quite concisely why you were wrong, but you never replied strangely, so whatever works for you. There are certainly worse crimes than being supportive :)
Nothing strange at all about my lack of response, it would clearly be pointless to prolong a conversation about something that we clearly have different recollections about. But then, for some reason, you've chosen to resurrect it tonight when I merely mentioned on a thread about ex-Cards on the move that an ex-Card is on the move. Very strange. :)

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:50 pm
by Better Red
Baldman wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:05 pm
Surely a player from the same area who Camembert through the youths means more?
Absolutely, (I think...) :-) Well, edam well should.

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:50 pm
by DesCartes
Red and White Army wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:20 pm
Banton seems to be scoring a few this season - is he on flamez bruv?
Enders wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:05 pm
Zak Ansah has signed for Herne Bay
As the previous season's answer (ansah) to Banton, young Zak has now scored 6 goals in 4 games for Herne Bay having previously scored more than 50 for Hythe since the start of 2018.

Having not found his natural level with Woking, it appears that he still hasn't found it!

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:56 pm
by Baldman
Better Red wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:50 pm
Baldman wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:05 pm
Surely a player from the same area who Camembert through the youths means more?
Absolutely, (I think...) :-) Well, edam well should.
Oh man that made me laugh

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:40 pm
by GlenH
Lurker wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:26 pm
GlenH wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:03 pm


I explained quite concisely why you were wrong, but you never replied strangely, so whatever works for you. There are certainly worse crimes than being supportive :)
Nothing strange at all about my lack of response, it would clearly be pointless to prolong a conversation about something that we clearly have different recollections about. But then, for some reason, you've chosen to resurrect it tonight when I merely mentioned on a thread about ex-Cards on the move that an ex-Card is on the move. Very strange. :)
Fair enough. I guess I was just amused that you'd brought him up again. Nothing against the lad though and good luck to him as you say. I'm honoured that you can seemingly remember my ramblings on this forum so clearly more than two years on.

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:57 pm
by doylie
And it's been announced that former Card Jefferson Louis has signed for his 38th club, Hampton and Richmond Borough at the age of 109.

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:59 pm
by AndyT
doylie wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:57 pm
And it's been announced that former Card Jefferson Louis has signed for his 38th club, Hampton and Richmond Borough at the age of 109.
39th club surely...................

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:07 pm
by Lurker
doylie wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:57 pm
And it's been announced that former Card Jefferson Louis has signed for his 38th club, Hampton and Richmond Borough at the age of 109.
Blimey, how many more of our old players are they going to nick? They should rename themselves Hampton & Woking FC.

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:39 pm
by Ian B
Shouldn't that read his 109th club at the age of 38?

Re: Ex-Cards News (May '19 onwards)

Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:50 pm
by Bobbo
Ian B wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:39 pm
Shouldn't that read his 109th club at the age of 38?
LOL, I bet so.